Have you remember searching for a product on a shopping site and, in the following days, having your inbox flooded with “offers” of the same product? Have you seen the price of an item in an online store and, when you went back to buy it, realized that the price had changed?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may have noticed that the Internet works like a radar that captures, stores, and passes on all the activity you do on it. If you are not happy with this situation and want to browse with more privacy and security, then this guide is for you. In this video, we are going to cover everything about VPNs you need to know.
⏳ Short in time? Here is a quick guide for you:
A VPN (Virtual Private Network in short) to keep your online activities private & Hidden from ISP, Government. Helps in unblocking Streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Hotstar, and Disney+. You can also torrent with a VPN to get what you desire.
NordVPN is the overall🔥 best VPN with reliable server speeds and there are 30 days money-back guarantee so no risk in trying this VPN.
What is VPN?
A VPN (or Virtual Private Network) is an online service that helps to connect to another network securely over the Internet. To simplify, it acts as a switch that creates an encryption tunnel between you and a remote server operated by a VPN server.
- To explain in technical terms, a VPN will encrypt your connection so all your actions will be untraceable.
- As all your traffic will be routed through a VPN server, you will be anonymous. Since they will mask your IP address.
- VPNs offer more security than public wifi hotspot and help you in accessing geo-blocked content in streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and many more.
VPN provides an option to establish a protected network connection using your network’s ISP. This will keep your private information safe as the encryption will happen in real-time.
How VPNs Work?
VPNs work by creating a secure tunnel between your computer and the rest of the internet. This shield will protect your data when it leaves your computer.
- VPN will mask the IP and change your location to VPN remote servers so that all the traffic will go into the VPN server first before hitting the internet.
- When you visit a website they will see your VPNs IP, not your actual IP. As they provide encryption your data will remain safe.
- VPNs make it difficult for others to track your details. VPNs will boost your privacy and security while you are online.
To make it practically let’s consider a scenario if there is public Wi-Fi near airports, railways station. You will connect to them instantly without any second taught. But, you might don’t know who is watching your traffic. Is it secure😯?. But, if you connect to the same Wi-Fi network using a VPN you can rest assured that no one can track your internet activities. None of them can track or steal your data, nor even the network operator.
Everyone should carefully think before they are connecting to the public Wi-Fi, don’t go over with the names as they are. When it comes to the home you don’t need to worry😢 about someone watching your data. Even here also VPN will prevent your IPS from knowing what you are doing online.
Do I Need a VPN?
VPN will be a security tool to ensure your privacy 🤠and security online. Here are a few reasons why you need a VPN:
- Encryption: A VPN will encrypt your traffic data. So that it is much more difficult for hackers or other third party people to know what the data contains.
- Avoid being hacked: It is relatively easy to hack on a public WiFi network. Even in private, it is also if the criminal in question has data such as IP or has managed to sneak malware into your PC. A good security measure is to hide your IP address behind a VPN, which will provide the attacker with a bogus address.
- IP Masking: VPN will mask your IP so that the website or anyone will never know your original IP to track your details.
- Access Netflix and Sports Streaming from Other Countries: With the help of a VPN you will be able to access the geo-blocked content in different streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and many more in any country.
- P2P Sharing/Torrenting: VPN will also allow you to download the torrents so that you will get access to huge content which is not available to the open world. Since P2P is illegal in many countries we cannot access it directly.
- Firewall Bypass: A firewall block certain websites from users. With the help of a VPN, you can take advantage of accessing Facebook, YouTube, Google, and other sites.
As you can see a VPN is offering all these features you can rest assure using a VPN without any fear. While some of the VPNs will also provide anti-malware protections.
What will a VPN help you with online Privacy?
You might already know that a good VPN will hide your IP as well as helps in encrypting your data using some of the toughest encryption algorithms available like 256-bit AES. But how does this will help in the real world?
- Browsed History: When you surf in browsers your ISP(Internet Service Provider) and websites you visit tracks your data, where most of the data is being used for profit for companies. Also browsing history is linked to IP address as well.
- Location: Your location can be found accurately with IP addresses. But with the help of a VPN, it becomes difficult to track the place of the device and this will also help in accessing the geo-blocked content in different streaming apps.
- Internet Activities: Since most of the good VPNs will have a zero log policy, you will be fully secured. You can also be sure that your IPS nor the other party members will never be able to track your activities
We can classify the VPN into different ways either by the device type or for what they have been used. There are two types of VPN are Remote Access VPN and Site to Site VPN.
Remote Access VPN
If you are looking for a personal VPN for Streaming, torrenting, etc then you will end up with this Remote Access VPN. This kind of VPN will use remote servers and hide your IP to encrypt the traffic making it difficult to track by other people.
Site to Site VPN
The site to Site VPNs is composed of intranet and extranet VPNs. Those functionalities follow like below. This(Intranet) type of VPNs will be used for organizations when they have more than one branch. Since site-to-site VPNs will be stored into extranet and intranet-based VPNs. If companies want to extend their Local Area Network to another company, then they use Extranet.
VPN Protocols will helps in establishing a secure connection between two networks. These protocols make the VPN varies in speed, connectivity, and compatibility. While most of the VPN will support at least two tunneling protocols. But, when it comes to the desktop you will have an option to choose which protocol to enable. For mobiles, the VPN Provider will judge which protocol will be used in your Android or iPhone.
- WireGuard: This is next-generation split tunneling and a new protocol in the market. This is only available in NordVPN and Private Internet Access VPNs as of now. We can expect that every premium VPN will include this in the future.
- OpenVPN: OpenVPN is the most popular protocol which is supported by every VPN virtually as this one work with either UDP or TCP network protocols.
- IKEv2: This is another most common protocol to add security for the device and this one will look after the transport part. While this is supported by iOS.
- L2TP/IPSec: This is the same as the IKEv2 protocol but used in iOS devices mostly. So you should avoid it as this one has Snowden leaks.
- SSTP: This protocol is created by Microsoft and works only in windows which makes this less popular and this can pass firewalls pretty easily.
- PPTP: This is totally outdated protocol that is not secure and you shouldn’t use this. This is also developed by Microsoft when Windows 95 are the trend.
What is a Double VPN?
What is this double VPN sounds crazy🙄 right? By the name reflects that a double VPN will create a dual connection instead of one. For example, if you want to reach a server in the US then you will be redirected to the UK first and then the USA. If you are still confusing that, what’s the purpose in doing that. Well, it makes it really sweat🤧 to track you down.
Note that this is not the same as double encryption. But, there will be some cons too. Using this feature will reduce your internet speed as redirection happening twice. 🤗Don’t worry Here is how you can boost your VPN Speeds.
Ok, now we know about VPNs thinking which VPN is best🧐? But before we discuss which VPN you should use. Here are few things you need to consider while choosing a VPN.
What should we look at while choosing a VPN?
The VPN market is crowded with tons of new VPN applications every day. So you need to be aware of the VPN best features which will help you in choosing.
- Privacy: This is the main concern while looking for a VPN. The VPN should support a Zero-log policy to ensure that your online activities are never tracked.
- Protocols: The VPN you choose must support most of the protocols that are available like PPTP, OpenVPN along with the latest protocols.
- No Data Limit: While some of the VPNs will limit your data usage. A true VPN should offer a large bandwidth to download using torrenting or other means.
- Server Location: Servers’ location also plays a major role in accessing the content. Since some of the sites are blocked in certain countries, make sure that the VPN will have a huge database.
- Multiple Devices Access: When you take the VPN subscription you should be able to use the VPN simultaneously on multiple devices.
- Kill Switch: If you suddenly drop out of the VPN connection. You should not connect to the internet to keep your identity private. This feature will ensure that.
- Tor Over VPN: Firstly connecting to a VPN and then using Tor will be referred to as Tor Over VPN. Which yields you the privacy protection of Tor along with the VPN protection prevents Tor node to track IP address.
- Split Tunneling: If you want to access the local content still insisting on the other countries’ content you don’t need to turn VPN off. Split tunneling will make it done.
- Cost: This one also should be taken into account as many of the VPNs will cost you much for fewer services while some of them will be upside down to the actual scenario.
Although there are other factors that need to be considered as well if you want to choose the best fit for you. Regardless of the provider, a VPN should also offer security, privacy, and malware detection as well. Now let’s see best VPNs available.
Which are the best VPNs available in 2021?
There are a lot of VPNs available in the market after researching and gathering the information we have rated each VPN and prepared a list of the top VPNs. Here we are going to list the top 3 best-rated VPN providers with affordable plans, fast speed, high privacy, and bypass geo-blocks and restrictions.
1.NordVPN: Overall Best VPN for Security, Speed, and Streaming
- NordVPN is the best VPN for security and known for the fastest servers.
- Uses 256-bit military-grade encryption and double VPN feature for more security
- Have P2P(Torrenting) optimized servers for higher bandwidth
- They don’t keep logs (Zero Log Policy).
- Kill Switch and Smart DNS option along with the high level of security.
- Unblock streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and more easily
- Can use on 6 devices simultaneously
NordVPN is one of the Best VPN as it offers high-grade security. There will be no DNS/IPv6 leaks. If you are someone who needs more security this one also offers Onion over VPN. You will also get six simultaneous connections per subscription along with Netflix streaming ability.
NordVPN is considered an all-rounder with fast internet speeds. This VPN has a Simple UI so that even a beginner can understand it easily. This VPN is available at a competitive price. NordVPN is also a good choice for unblocking the geo-blocked content in different platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and other streaming Apps.
Speeds are fast enough to stream even high-quality content and have over 5400+ Servers over in 59 countries. It doesn’t require any high configuration to connect to any server. There is a Quick Connect feature available on the bottom of the screen to connect to the fastest server available.
Also, they are offering 30 days of the money-back guarantee program. So you can try this without any risk. So, if you don’t like the app then you will get your full refund within 5 days. And if you need a VPN for 1-2 weeks only then can try NordVPN for free using its money-back program.
Here is NordVPN’s detailed review if you want to explore more about this VPN.
2. ExpressVPN: Secure VPN with high VPN
- ExpressVPN offers full torrenting support along with full security
- Unblocks Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and more
- No Log Policy.
- Contains tons of server locations with class-leading connection speed.
- Allow Torrenting on all servers but no special servers for P2P
- Reliable kill switch
- 30 Days full refund policy
Consider using ExpressVPN if you want high encryption along with security, this would be a great choice. Since this is based on the British Virgin Islands, which has no data retention laws. The company will not keep the data and no third-party users can request them.
ExpressVPN uses OpenVPN, Ikev2, and L2Tp-IPSec protocols, which are known as the most reliable security protocols. This VPN has 3000+ servers across 94 countries offering 100Mb/s internet speed. Even you can stream Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and mostly anything in Ultra HD quality.
ExpressVPN boats with KillSwitch and Split Tunneling. The only limitation is that ExpressVPN has only five device limitations
They offer 30 days risk-free money back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low price subscriptions.
This ExpressVPN is compatible with Android, iPhone, Mac, Windows, Linux, chrome extensions, Chromebook, Android TV, Amazon FireStick, and Fire TV.
Here is ExpressVPN’s detailed review if you want to explore more about this VPN.
- CyberGhost is a dedicated VPN for torrenting that enriches your experience.
- CyberGhost has a huge server network with more than 6200+ servers with a multi-device connection limit of up to 7.
- This VPN offers a Zero log policy and packed with military-grade encryption with 256-bit encryptions.
CyberGhost offers great speed with P2P connections except in few countries. Packed with Rare split tunneling and multihop feature with large distributed servers. This VPN allows pretty much everything as the others do from Netflix to Disney+.
CyberGhost app is pretty much straightforward with a simple and easy-to-use interface. While the speed is more than sufficient for torrenting. While they need to work on Split tunneling and there is no manual option for the kill switch.
If are thinking to have a hands-on, Check this hidden deals page for more offers.
This CyberGhost is compatible with iPhone, Android, Mac, Windows, Linux, Chromebook, Android TV, Amazon FireStick, and Fire TV.
Here is CyberghostVPN’s detailed review if you want to explore more about this VPN.
How to Download and Install VPN?
- Get a VPN (I prefer using NordVPN and in this guide also I’ll be using the same).
- Download & Install VPN on your device To download and install NordVPN, check out our guides for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- Click on the platform you want to download a VPN for.
- Click on the Download button on the screen to start downloading NordVPNSetup.exe.
- Once it is downloaded, double-click on the setup file to start the installation.
- Click on Install to complete the Installation and get into the app home screen.
How to Unblock Netflix using a VPN?
Here we will explain VPN’s role in accessing the content which is not available in your country in a detailed manner. Let’s consider an example of watching Ted 2(2015) on Netflix.
At the moment Ted 2 is available in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, and the UK. And if we can somehow change our location to these countries then we can access Ted 2 and other titles on Netflix now. And exactly this, I am going to explain in the next lines.
- Install a VPN, we will use NordVPN.
- To download and install NordVPN, check out our guides for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- Connect to those countries mentioned above in the VPNs server list. Here we will connect to France.
- If you choose let’s say France server. When you reopen Netflix again you will see Ted 2 on top.
Now you can enjoy streaming Ted 2 on your Netflix. Similarly, you can use this method to access any geo-blocked content in any other streaming app like Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go.
How to torrent safely and securely using VPN?
- Install a VPN, we will use NordVPN.
- To download and install NordVPN, check out our guides for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- Now install any torrent client like Utorrent. Once you are done go to any torrent website like YTS Official Website.
- Search any movie like Monster Hunters which will appear on the search bar. Click on the thumbnail.
- Now click on the download button under the thumbnail, a pop window will appear.
- Choose the quality of the movie to download it has two options here 1080p, 720p.
- Once you click on the magnet button under the quality you want.
- A menu appears on the uTorrent web app. Grant the permission it will redirect to the uTorrent web page.
- Once you choose the files you want to download. Now click on the Add button below.
- Now it will start downloading the files, wait till the download gets finished, and enjoy.
Hurray!, Now you can watch the movie. You can apply this procedure to all torrenting sites to get the things you want.
Are VPNs available for Free?
Yes, there are tons of VPNs that are available for free. But they do have their limitations. Here are few limitations of free VPNs:
- Selling Users Data: Some free VPNs makes money by selling users data to companies and then companies use this data to a target user and sell their product. Which is against the main purpose of VPN i.e, privacy.
- Malware(Virus): VPN can be defeated by malware since they are not specially designed to detect the virus in files. So there is always a scope for someone to get into your system.
- Speed: There are some VPNs that can’t offer the desired speed you want due to their limitation of server traffic.
- P2P Services: Not all VPNs will offer you P2P services. So make sure that your VPN will have these features before buying a VPN.
- Accessing Websites: VPNs might not be able to access some websites like Bank sites. As they will prevent the VPN traffic to prevent frauds. While some good VPNs provide you the privileges to access these sites by whitelisting them.
- Data Caps: Some of the VPNs will have Data Cap and some platform limitations. So make sure that you won’t have these things on your way while you are choosing.
But we have picked some VPNs which are free, if you need a VPN for short time then you can use these. Here some of the best free VPNs.
1. Proton VPN
- No Ads & No data limits (Unlimited Data)
- Strict No-logs policy
- Medium streaming speeds in Free Version
- 16 servers across the Netherlands, US, and Japan
- Compatible with Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux
- Works with YouTube, Spotify, and Kodi
- An automatic kill switch with robust encryption
ProtonVPN stands out of the crowd without any limit on data usage, which is great to stream videos. This free version has some strong premium services like Ad-free, you can connect to the servers located on Japan, Netherlands and US.
Though there are no servers in India, you can connect to any of these three servers and bypass censorship or geo-restricted content on streaming platforms. Since this is a Swizz-based VPN all your online activities are 100% log-free. Much like other premium VPNs, proton VPN is also featured with AES Encryption
ProtonVPN is powered with Automatic Kill Switch to protect your sensitive data. Along with IPV6 leak protection to ensure your IP Address is hidden. Free Version isn’t capable of unblocking Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and other streaming platforms.
There is also a 30-days trial program If you want to taste their premium services. But, ProtonVPN doesn’t have online chat functionality for help.
- 10GB Per month Limit
- A good number of servers in 11 countries
- Stealth mode for security
- Additional Adblocker & malware blocker for Android & iOS
- Unblocks Netflix, Kodi, and Youtube
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
Though you get poor bandwidth of 2GB per month, you can push the limit to 10GB if you are ready to share your email address with WindScribe. This free version allows you to choose from 11 remote server locations including Germany, the US, UK, Canada, Turkey, and many more.
With their servers, you can easily bypass government censorship to access geo-restricted content. The sad part is you cannot unblock Netflix or streaming sites with this free version.
While they do follow the zero-log policy along with some decent encryption protocols. There are no DNS or IP leaks during my test. So you can use this VPN without any second taught. Also, you don’t need to provide any of your personal information to open an account.
You need not provide a working email to claim data, WindScribe has their app for all platforms housing a chatbot for 24/7 customer support to answer your queries. They are providing a 1-day free trial to experience premium services.
3 . TunnelBear: Indians Loved VPN
- 500MB Daily Data Limit
- Decent 2600+ Servers for unblocking content
- Zero log policy with 256-bit encryption for security.
- 256-bit encryption for reliable security
- Unblocks Hotstar, Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and Youtube
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
Tunnelbear will limit your data usage to 500MB that is 15GB of data per month. Also, you can get one time Additional Addon of 1GB of data when you tweet through TunnelBear App.
TunnelBear uses AES 256-bit encryption with OpenVPN protocol to secure your data. But it is an Eyes group member. While there are some modes in the TunnelBear app like GhostBear to hard encrypt your personal data and VigilianBear mode acting as Kill Switch.
TunnelBear has no server restrictions so that you can easily bypass censorship in most countries. Even it worked on China during my test. But the VPN Speeds are average. While it can unblock many streaming services like Hotstar, Netflix, HBO Max for free.
The best part of TunnelBear is that you can connect up to 5 devices which are amazing for a free VPN. Though this VPN is feature-rich there is no free trial program for the premium version.
Using a VPN is recommended as it will create a secure connection over the internet. Either to keep your private information secure and providing you the facility to access the regionally blocked content in streaming apps. VPN will eliminate the tracking of your data by ISP or by any other attackers. Keeps you secures against external attacks. You can also sign in to different devices and protect them at the same time.
FAQs Related to VPN
Are VPNs Really Secure?
Yes, Using VPNs will keep you secure and your data safe unless you download a file. Since even VPNs cannot protect you from the virus if someone targets you specifically. Rest of the scenarios you can rest assure you are safe.
Can I Use VPNs for torrenting?
Yes, you can use VPN for torrenting. Not all of them will support P2P sharing so look carefully when you are installing a VPN on your devices.
Using VPN is Legal?
The answer to this question lies in the country where you reside. Because in some countries it is legal to use VPN. In some countries like Iran or Iraq, it is considered illegal. If you want to check is it legal in your country here is the list.
Which VPN to use (Free or Paid VPN)?
We will recommend using Paid VPN. Since most of the free VPNs will log your activities and sell the user data while some are not. So it is always better you go for paid VPN.