Is your VPN blocking your internet? Don’t know why so, well it’s an essential feature. Shocked? It has a purpose for protecting, you are at the right place to know everything about it, why it exists & it’s working, etc. Dive in without wasting your time further …
VPN (Virtual Private Network) job is to keep you anonymous all the time. But without a kill switch, it won’t even be possible, wondering how🤷♂️? A VPN kill switch comes into the picture when your VPN connection drops all of sudden.
⏳ Short in time? Here is a quick guide for you:
Kill Switch protects your real identity ⏹pausing your internet connection. It’s really an essential feature for a VPN, without it there is no sense of fulfillment to the VPN about 🎭anonymity. ExpressVPN calls it Network lock, also you will get an 🔁auto-connect feature that quickly connects you back. So, you can enjoy online surfing, torrenting, or streaming without any interruptions.
What is VPN Kill Switch?
VPN Kill Switch is one among its benefits, which disconnect🔌 you from the internet when your VPN server connection drops. It ensures that you remain private even when your connection drops. So, your browsing activities along with your original IP will not be visible for your ISP.
VPN Kill Switch provides an extra layer of 🛡protection to keep your browsing history & IP Address is hidden, even when the connection drops. So, no one can know your identity & access your sensitive information.
It’s a VPN 🤗feature offered by premium VPN service providers. Even the best network in the world might leave your personal information, but a VPN with a kill switch won’t.
How a VPN Kill Switch Work?
It’s very simple to understand when you compare its functionality with a switch (ON/OFF button). It acts as a privacy safe button that cuts down your internet connection (when the VPN connection is down) & reverses itself when the VPN connection is back.
Kill Switch will analyze your VPN Server connection in real-time by checking your IP Address changes. Get turned on if it detects any connection drops & blocks internet connection.
Why your VPN should have kill Switch?
So you will be in danger exposing your real IP to the surveillance groups or to your ISP when your VPN connection drops. But a VPN kill switch will ensure this sudden exposure doesn’t happen by blocking the internet traffic.
🎯Tip:- This is something you need to look at in a VPN, not all VPNs have a built-in kill switch (Choose Wisely).
Types of Kill Switch
There are two types of VPN Kill Switch available making it feasible to choose which application should be able to access the internet when the VPN server connection is down.
System-Wide Kill Switch
A system-level VPN kill Switch will disconnect you from the internet completely immediately after it notices that you’re disconnected from the VPN server. So, none of your applications will have access to the internet until the VPN connection is restored. This helps in preventing IP leaks.
Application Wide Kill Switch
This gives the flexibility providing the kill switch feature to some specific applications (installed on your device) you choose. So, even when your VPN connection drops you can still able to access the internet on other applications. But make sure that you add all the most commonly used applications to its list.
- Browser: Chrome, FireFox, Edge or Opera.
- Torrent Clients: uTorrent, Vuze, etc
📝Note:- Not every VPN provider offers all the types of kill switches.
Steps to Enable Kill Switch
Some VPNs activate Kill Switch by default, whereas some provide leave it’s to user preference. If you toggle it, you can’t use regular internet when your VPN server connection is lost.
- I recommend using ExpressVPN which has built in kill Switch + Auto connect feature.
- Now click on ☰ and click on ⚙option available.
- Now You can find Network Lock (Kill Switch) settings on general section.
- Make sure it’s ✔checked to enjoy Kill Switch feature on your device.
When your VPN Kill Switch get Activated
Though it’s will get activated when your VPN connection goes down. But there are some other scenarios in which it helps you to protect your identity.
- If your VPN connection is dropped- VPN server connectivity issues.
- If you want to switch between servers- It prevent streaming serivices detecting your original IP when you change your Netflix region.
- If your network connection dropped- when you internet connection is unstable (dropping frequently).
- If your device updates overnight- When you device get updated and reconnect to internet back after restarting.
- If it detects a new firewall- if you forget to create an exception for your VPN, kill switch will get activated because firewall can block your VPN.
- If your device is being used by someone else- when somene restart your device without turning off the VPN connection.
Steps to test VPN Kill Switch
It’s very simple to test your Kill Switch working or not following the steps mentioned below.
- Connect to a VPN server, Here I’m connecting to UK server.
- Copy this link “http://ip-api.com/csv” into pagerefreshner site & set refreshing time to 1 second.
- Now disconnect from your internet or try swicthing to another server (without disconnecting from earler).
If you see the above message, then your VPN Kill Switch is working perfectly without any issues.
Best VPNs with built in Kill Switch
1.ExpressVPN- Network Lock + Auto Connect
- 3000+ Servers in 160+ locations (94 countries).
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Unbeatable Security Encryption with OpenVPN (TCP/UDP), L2TP, IPSec, IKEv2.
- Full Torrenting Support (Dedicated P2P Servers) with split tunneling.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Consoles, routers etc.
- 5 Simultaneous device connections.
- Zero Log Policy.
- Reliable kill switch.
- 24/7 Customer Support.
- 30 Days full refund policy.
ExpressVPN is a 🥇top geo-unblocker of any online service that provides military-grade security encryption without any DNS/IPv6 leaks (proven in tests). With its 3000+ servers in 93+ countries all over the world to quickly connect to a server, supporting WireGuard protocol for quick streaming speeds.
ExpressVPN has a minimal & 🧑💻user-friendly interface that is well compatible with all the device platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. Your subscription won’t end with you, you can share it with another four members (5 Simultaneous connections).
ExpressVPN is a top VPN recommended by Reddit users. ExpressVPN is also a great choice for unblocking the geo-blocked content in different platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and other streaming Apps.
Also, ExpressVPN supports 💪unlimited P2P torrenting. It offers better value for money reliable service, check out its full review. They do offer 30 days of the money-back guarantee program. So, you can claim your refund if you are not satisfied with the service. It’s worth trying out (risk-free).
2. NordVPN– Kill Switch
- 5500+ servers in 62+ Countries.
- Double VPN feature for extra privacy.
- Unlimited Streaming in Ultra HD quality without data caps.
- Unlimited P2P/Torrenting anonymously with dedicated P2P servers.
- Unblocks International services Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO, iPlayer, Disney+ and Amazon Prime.
- CyberSec to avoid malware and block ads.
- Reliable kill switch.
- Strict No-logs policy.
- 30 Days full refund policy.
NordVPN is one of the best streaming VPNs. that can bypass most geoblocks providing high-level VPN encryption. Its 5500+ servers all over the world provide you the flexibility of choosing the best server based on your needs. NordVPN has a very minimal interface with map 📌points (Servers) all over the world.
NordVPN is very 🤗user-friendly & compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS, one of the best No-log VPNs without any leaks. Its custom-developed NordLynx protocol delivers superior server ⚡speeds to stream your favorite content in Ultra HD without any buffering.
NordVPN offers everything for a 🔐security lover, stay completely anonymous with 🧅Onion Over VPN & VPN Chaining. Also, you can 🥳enjoy unlimited torrenting with dedicated P2P servers (stops ISP throttling). This VPN can unblock anything coming in its way.
Also, they are offering 30 days of the money-back guarantee program (worth trying out). You can claim a full refund if you don’t like the service. Check out the full review for more features they are offering.
3. Surfshark VPN- Kill Switch + Cameleon Mode
- 3200+ Servers in 65 Countries.
- Standard AES 256-bit encryption with OpenVPN, WireGuard and IKEv2 protocols.
- Whitelister and Cleanweb feature.
- Multihop mode to stream the content in high quality without buffering.
- Static IP Addressess available.
- Reliable Kill Switch.
- No Log Policy.
- Unlimited device connections.
- 7 Days free trail & 30 days refund policy.
Surfshark is the 💪best no-log affordable VPN that provides unlimited devices connections. Powered with the class-leading VPN protocols and camouflage mode hides that you’re using a VPN. Surfshark VPN provides military-grade encryption keeping your identity hidden.
Surfshark VPN is compatible with almost all the device platforms and easy to set up on Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. This VPN ensures that all your browse history is hidden from your ISP and keeps you away from the surveillance groups.
Also, they offer 30 days risk-free money-back guarantee program. If you don’t want to empty your pockets for a VPN consider this one as an option. Check out its detailed review for more information.
4. CyberGhost– Automatic Kill Switch
- 6500+ Servers in over 90 countries.
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and many other streaming platforms in high quality.
- Supports a maximum of 7 devices simultaneous streaming.
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Chrome, Linux, and other devices.
- 45 days money-back guarantee.
- No Log Policy.
- 24/7 Customer Support.
Cyberghost is the best No-Log VPN for beginners especially brilliant at unblocking Netflix on Android. Its 2200+ servers in more than 60 countries offer great & reliable speed to stream your favorite content.
Like other VPNs on this list, CyberGhost has a zero-logging policy and completely makes you free from 14 eye surveillance. This VPN ranked third as there is no Split Tunneling and all the IP Addresses are static.
Cyberghost has multiple protocols like OpenVPN, AES 256 encryption with a kill switch feature to protect you from unexpected disconnections. Cyberghost will also unblock popular video streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and many more that come along the way.
CyberGhost is specially designed to determine which server will work on your streaming services. They also have apps for almost all the platforms. Also, they are offering 7 days free trial for Android, iOS, and Windows.
They offer 45 days risk-free money-back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low price subscriptions.
5. IPVanish: Kill Switch
- 1300+ Servers in 75+ Locations.
- Quick Server Connection without any data caps.
- Unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, etc.
- Unlimited Simultanoues device connections.
- Endless Streaming with optimized servers.
- Multi-platform Support with a reliable kill switch.
- No Log Policy with superior anonymity.
- 30 days Full Refund Policy.
If you are the one who enjoys downloading speeds with privacy (No Log), IPVanish is for you. You can enjoy unblocking streaming services and grab crazy deals by spoofing your location with 1500+ servers in more than 75 locations across the world (Dynamic IPs).
IPVanish is so fast, you can’t tell the difference whether you are connected to VPN. They have also included leak protection along with standard 256-bit encryption and OpenVPN protocol. You can enjoy unlimited simultaneous device connections seamlessly with tons of configurations day-by-day.
IPVanish works well in real-time with decent internet speeds. Also, you can enjoy downloading games without any bandwidth limitations.
They offer 30 days risk-free money-back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low price subscriptions.
⚡Causes for your VPN connection drop
Firewalls:- Antivirus or your internet router might interfere with your VPN connection (can’t beat the kill switch protection). So, please add your VPN as an exception to that software.
Signal Strength:- If your signal strength is too poor, your device can get disconnected if you are moving distance from the signal.
Network congestion:- Too much network traffic on the site might result in ISP throttling. This overburden might drop your VPN connection, which is a very common problem seen in public Wi-Fi networks.
Well, there are tons of VPNs providing this kill switch for your privacy. Also, make sure that your VPN doesn’t 😢ditch you from backlogging your data claiming a no-log policy. Don’t worry all VPNs mentioned above follow the policy strictly and have a great reputable background.
But premium VPN providers like ExpressVPN maintain reliable (stable) 💪servers will connect you back automatically (when your connection drops), while in some providers you need to manually connect to the server again ⏳ (tedious).
FAQs Related to Kill Switch
Does a VPN include a kill switch?
Not all VPN providers care about your privacy, so make sure that you choose a VPN service that has a built-in kill switch (mentioned above). Though most providers offer it as a VPN feature, it doesn’t mean enabled by default.
How to use a VPN Kill Switch?
VPN will automatically use this feature when you enable it. All you need to do it, just enable it following the steps mentioned above.
Does VPN Kill Switch turn on by default?
Well, it depends on the VPN service providers. While in some VPNs you will not be provided with an option to toggle it (turns on by default), but in some VPNs, you have to enable it.
Is it good to keep Kill Switch on all the time?
Yes, but you are provided to create an exception for applications that you don’t want to. So, you can continue using them even if your VPN connection drops.