Do you remember doing a search for a certain product on a shopping site and, in the following days, having your inbox flooded with “offers” of the same product? Have you seen the price of an item in an online store and, when you went back to buy it, realized that the price had changed?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may have noticed that the Internet works like a radar that captures, stores and passes on all the activity you do on it. If you are not happy with this situation and want to browse with more privacy and security, then this guide is for you. In this video, we are going to cover everything about VPNs you need to know.
What is VPN?
A VPN (or Virtual Private Network) is an online service that helps to connect to another network securely over the Internet. To simplify, it acts as a switch that creates an encryption tunnel between you and a remote server operated by a VPN server.
- To explain in technical terms, a VPN will encrypt your connection so all your actions will be untraceable.
- As all your traffic will be routed through a VPN server, you will be anonymous. Since they will mask your IP address.
- VPNs offer more security than public wifi hotspot and help you in accessing geo-blocked content in streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and many more.
VPN provides an option to establish a protected network connection using your network’s ISP. This will keep your private information safe as the encryption will happen in real-time.
How VPNs Work?
VPNs work by creating a secure tunnel between your computer and the rest of the internet. This shield will protect your data when it leaves your computer.
- VPN will mask the IP and change your location to VPN remote servers so that all the traffic will go into the VPN server first before hitting the internet.
- When you visit a website they will see your VPNs IP, not your actual IP. As they provide encryption your data will remain safe.
- VPNs make it difficult for others to track your details. VPNs will boost your privacy and security while you are online.
To make it practically let’s consider a scenario if there is public Wi-Fi near airports, railways station. You will connect to them instantly without any second taught. But, you might don’t know who is watching your traffic. Is it secure?. But, if you connect to the same Wi-Fi network using a VPN you can rest assured that no one can track your internet activities. None of them can track or steal your data, nor even the network operator.
Everyone should carefully think before they are connecting to the public Wi-Fi, don’t go over with the names as they are. When it comes to the home you don’t need to worry about someone watching your data. Even here also VPN will prevent your IPS from knowing what you are doing online.
Do I Need a VPN?
VPN will be a security tool to ensure your privacy and security online. Here are a few reasons why you need a VPN:
- Encryption: A VPN will encrypt your traffic data. So that it is much more difficult for hackers or other third party people to know what the data contains.
- Avoid being hacked: It is relatively easy to hack on a public WiFi network. Even in private, it is also if the criminal in question has data such as IP or has managed to sneak malware into your PC. A good security measure is to hide your IP address behind a VPN, which will provide the attacker with a bogus address.
- IP Masking: VPN will mask your IP so that the website or anyone will never know your original IP to track your details.
- Access Netflix and Sports Streaming from Other Countries: With the help of a VPN you will be able to access the geo-blocked content in different streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and many more in any country.
- P2P Sharing/Torrenting: VPN will also allow you to download the torrents so that you will get access to huge content which is not available to the open world. Since P2P is illegal in many countries we cannot access it directly.
- Firewall Bypass: A firewall block certain websites from users. With the help of a VPN, you can take advantage of accessing Facebook, YouTube, Google, and other sites.
As you can see a VPN is offering all these features you can rest assure using a VPN without any fear. While some of the VPNs will also provide anti-malware protections.
What will a VPN help you with online Privacy?
You might already know that a good VPN will hide your IP as well as helps in encrypting your data using some of the toughest encryption algorithms available like 256-bit AES. But how does this will help in the real world?
- Browsed History: When you surf in browsers your ISP(Internet Service Provider) and websites you visit tracks your data, where most of the data is being used for profit for companies. Also browsing history is linked to IP address as well.
- Location: Your location can be found accurately with IP addresses. But with the help of a VPN, it becomes difficult to track the place of the device and this will also help in accessing the geo-blocked content in different streaming apps.
- Internet Activities: Since most of the good VPNs will have a zero log policy, you will be fully secured. You can also be sure that your IPS nor the other party members will never be able to track your activities.
We can classify the VPN into different ways either by the device type or for what they have been used. There are two types of VPN are Remote Access VPN and Site to Site VPN.
Remote Access VPN
If you are looking for a personal VPN for Streaming, torrenting, etc then you will end up with this Remote Access VPN. This kind of VPN will use remote servers and hide your IP to encrypt the traffic making it difficult to track by other people.
Site to Site VPN
The site to Site VPNs is composed of intranet and extranet VPNs. Those functionalities follow like below. This(Intranet) type of VPNs will be used for organizations when they have more than one branch. Since site-to-site VPNs will be stored into extranet and intranet-based VPNs. If companies want to extend their Local Area Network to another company, then they use Extranet.
VPN Protocols will helps in establishing a secure connection between two networks. These protocols make the VPN varies in speed, connectivity, and compatibility. While most of the VPN will support at least two tunneling protocols. But, when it comes to the desktop you will have an option to choose which protocol to enable. For mobiles, the VPN Provider will judge which protocol will be used in your Android or iPhone.
WireGuard: This is next-generation split tunneling and a new protocol in the market. This is only available in NordVPN and Private Internet Access VPNs as of now. We can expect that every premium VPN will include this in the future.
OpenVPN: OpenVPN is the most popular protocol which is supported by every VPN virtually as this one work with either UDP or TCP network protocols.
IKEv2: This is another most common protocol to add security for the device and this one will look after the transport part. While this is supported by iOS.
L2TP/IPSec: This is the same as the IKEv2 protocol but used in iOS devices mostly. So you should avoid it as this one has Snowden leaks.
SSTP: This protocol is created by Microsoft and works only in windows which makes this less popular and this can pass firewalls pretty easily.
PPTP: This is totally outdated protocol that is not secure and you shouldn’t use this. This is also developed by Microsoft when Windows 95 are the trend.
What is a Double VPN?
What is this double VPN sounds crazy right? By the name reflects that a double VPN will create a dual connection instead of one. For example, if you want to reach a server in the US then you will be redirected to the UK first and then the USA. If you are still confusing that, what’s the purpose in doing that. Well, it makes it really sweat to track you down.
Note that this is not the same as double encryption. But, there will be some cons too. Using this feature will reduce your internet speed as redirection happening twice.
Ok, now we know about VPNs thinking which VPN is best? But before we discuss which VPN you should use. Here are few things you need to consider while choosing a VPN.
What should we look at while choosing a VPN?
The VPN market is crowded with tons of new VPN applications every day. So you need to be aware of the VPN best features which will help you in choosing.
1. Privacy: This is the main concern while looking for a VPN. The VPN should support a Zero-log policy to ensure that your online activities are never tracked.
2. Protocols: The VPN you choose must support most of the protocols that are available like PPTP, OpenVPN along with the latest protocols.
3. No Data Limit: While some of the VPNs will limit your data usage. A true VPN should offer a large bandwidth to download using torrenting or by other means.
4. Server Location: Servers’ location also plays a major role in accessing the content. Since some of the sites are blocked in certain countries, make sure that the VPN will have a huge database.
5. Multiple Devices Access: When you take the VPN subscription you should be able to use the VPN simultaneously on multiple devices.
6. Kill Switch: If you suddenly drop out of the VPN connection. You should not connect to the internet to keep your identity private. This feature will ensure that.
7. Tor Over VPN: Firstly connecting to a VPN and then using Tor will be referred to as Tor Over VPN. Which yields you the privacy protection of Tor along with the VPN protection prevents Tor node to track IP address.
8. Split Tunneling: If you want to access the local content still insisting on the other countries’ content you don’t need to turn VPN off. Split tunneling will make it done.
9. Cost: This one also should be taken into account as many of the VPNs will cost you much for fewer services while some of them will be upside down to the actual scenario.
Although there are other factors that need to be considered as well if you want to choose the best fit for you. Regardless of the provider, a VPN should also offer security, privacy, and malware detection as well. Now let’s see best VPNs available.
Which are the best VPNs available in 2021?
There are a lot of VPNs available in the market after researching and gathering the information we have rated each VPN and prepared a list of the top VPNs. Here we are going to list the top 3 best-rated VPN providers with affordable plans, fast speed, high privacy, and bypass geo-blocks and restrictions.
- NordVPN is the best VPN for security and known for the fastest servers.
- Uses 256-bit military-grade encryption and double VPN feature for more security
- Have P2P(Torrenting) optimized servers for higher bandwidth
- They don’t keep logs (Zero Log Policy).
- Kill Switch and Smart DNS option along with the high level of security.
- Unblock streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and more easily
- Can use on 6 devices simultaneously
NordVPN is one of the Best VPN as it offers high-grade security. There will be no DNS/IPv6 leaks. If you are someone who needs more security this one also offers Onion over VPN. You will also get six simultaneous connections per subscription along with Netflix streaming ability.
NordVPN is considered an all-rounder with fast internet speeds. This VPN has a Simple UI so that even a beginner can understand it easily. This VPN is available at a competitive price. NordVPN is also a good choice for unblocking the geo-blocked content in different platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and other streaming Apps.
Speeds are fast enough to stream even high-quality content and have over 5400+ Servers over in 59 countries. It doesn’t require any high configuration to connect to any server. There is a Quick Connect feature available on the bottom of the screen to connect to the fastest server available.
Also, they are offering 30 days of the money-back guarantee program. So you can try this without any risk. So, if you don’t like the app then you will get your full refund within 5 days. And if you need a VPN for 1-2 weeks only then can try NordVPN for free using its money-back program.
Here is NordVPN’s detailed review if you want to explore more about this VPN.
- ExpressVPN offers full torrenting support along with full security
- No Log Policy.
- Contains tons of server locations with class-leading connection speed.
- Can use on 5 devices simultaneously
- This also offers WebRTC leak protection with private DNS for the best privacy.
Consider using ExpressVPN if you want high encryption along with security, this would be a great choice. Since this is based on the British Virgin Islands, which has no data retention laws. The company will not keep the data and no third-party users can request them.
ExpressVPN uses OpenVPN, Ikev2, and L2Tp-IPSec protocols, which are known as the most reliable security protocols. This VPN has 3000+ servers across 94 countries offering 100Mb/s internet speed. Even you can stream Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and mostly anything in Ultra HD quality.
ExpressVPN boats with KillSwitch and Split Tunneling. The only limitation is that ExpressVPN has only five device limitations.
They offer 30 days risk-free money back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low price subscriptions.
This ExpressVPN is compatible with Android, iPhone, Mac, Windows, Linux, chrome extensions, Chromebook, Android TV, Amazon FireStick, and Fire TV.
Here is ExpressVPN’s detailed review if you want to explore more about this VPN.
3. CyberGhost: Optimized Servers for Streaming and Torrenting
- CyberGhost is a dedicated VPN for torrenting that enriches your experience.
- CyberGhost has a huge server network with more than 6200+ servers with a multi-device connection limit of up to 7.
- This VPN offers a Zero log policy and packed with military-grade encryption with 256-bit encryptions.
CyberGhost offers great speed with P2P connection except in few countries. Packed with Rare split tunneling and multihop feature with large distributed servers. This VPN allows pretty much everything as the others do from Netflix to Disney+.
CyberGhost app is pretty much straightforward with a simple and easy-to-use interface. While the speed is more than sufficient for torrenting. While they need to work on Split tunneling and there is no manual option for the kill switch.
If are thinking to have a hands-on, Check this hidden deals page for more offers.
This CyberGhost is compatible with iPhone, Android, Mac, Windows, Linux, Chromebook, Android TV, Amazon FireStick, and Fire TV.
How to Download and Install NordVPN?
To download NordVPN on your Windows follow the steps below:
- Click here to go to NordVPN official page, it will redirect you to the best offer available currently.
- Click on the Grab the Deal button.
- Once reached, now choose any of the plans of your choice and make payment (Don’t worry even if you don’t like its services you can ask for the money-back within 30 days)
- After you make the payment, you will be redirected to the Dashboard of your Nord Account.
- Here click on the Download apps button in the sidebar.
- On the next screen, you’ll see various platforms on which you can run NordVPN.
- Go to Download For Windows and choose the version.
- As soon as you select your version, NordVPN will be started to download.
Now you downloaded NordVPN for your Windows, it’s time to install it. Here’s how to install it on Windows:
- Open the file you just downloaded.
- Give the installer access to install NordVPN on your computer.
- Now choose a destination to install the NordVPN files and click on Next twice.
- Finally, you are to install it, here just click on Install.
- Now wait for a few moments;
- Once the installation is completed, click on the Finish button.
How to Unblock Netlfix using a VPN?
Here we will explain VPN’s role in accessing the content which is not available in your country in a detailed manner. Let’s consider an example of watching Ted 2(2015) on Netflix.
At the moment Ted 2 is available in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, and the UK. And if we can somehow change our location to these countries then we can access Ted 2 and other titles on Netflix now. And exactly this, I am going to explain in the next lines.
- Install a VPN, we will use NordVPN.
- To download and install NordVPN, check out our guides for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- Connect to those countries mentioned above in the VPNs server list. Here we will connect to France.
- If you choose let’s say France server. When you reopen Netflix again you will see Ted 2 on top.
Now you can enjoy streaming Ted 2 on your Netflix. Similarly, you can use this method to access any geo-blocked content in any other streaming app like Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go.
How to torrent safely and securely using VPN?
- Install a VPN, we will use NordVPN.
- To download and install NordVPN, check out our guides for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
- Now install any torrent client like Utorrent. Once you are done go to any torrent website like YTS Official Website.
- Search any movie like Monster Hunters which will appear on the search bar. Click on the thumbnail.
- Now click on the download button under the thumbnail, a pop window will appear.
- Choose the quality of the movie to download it has two options here 1080p, 720p.
- Once you click on the magnet button under the quality you want.
- A menu appears on the uTorrent web app. Grant the permission it will redirect to the uTorrent web page.
- Once you choose the files you want to download. Now click on the Add button below.
- Now it will start downloading the files, wait till the download gets finished, and enjoy.
Hurray!, Now you can watch the movie. You can apply this procedure to all torrenting sites to get the things you want.
Are VPNs available for Free?
Yes, there are tons of VPNs that are available for free. But they do have their limitations. Here are few limitations of free VPNs:
- Selling Users Data: Some free VPNs makes money by selling users data to companies and then companies use this data to a target user and sell their product. Which is against the main purpose of VPN i.e, privacy.
- Malware(Virus): VPN can be defeated by malware since they are not specially designed to detect the virus in files. So there is always a scope for someone to get into your system.
- Speed: There are some VPNs that can’t offer the desired speed you want due to their limitation of server traffic.
- P2P Services: Not all VPNs will offer you P2P services. So make sure that your VPN will have these features before buying a VPN.
- Accessing Websites: VPNs might not be able to access some websites like Bank sites. As they will prevent the VPN traffic to prevent frauds. While some good VPNs provide you the privileges to access these sites by whitelisting them.
- Data Caps: Some of the VPNs will have Data Cap and some platform limitations. So make sure that you won’t have these things on your way while you are choosing.
But we have picked some VPNs which are free, if you need a VPN for short time then you can use these. Here some of the best free VPNs.
- This VPN is considered the best VPN available for free subscriptions with advanced privacy tools.
- Supports a Double VPN server to encrypt the traffic over two separate locations for added security.
- Consists of more than 1000+ servers all over the world.
Though Proton VPN is a kind of free one, you need a Plus or Visionary subscription in order to get 100% access to all its servers. They will provide high speed for the premium users along with kill-switch and split tunneling.
There is also DNS leak protection, while its “Secure Core” servers also considered as the security feature for the Proton VPN. They are offering 30 days money-back return policy if you don’t like this VPN.
- Windscribe offers a P2P connection for most servers and they have about 400+ servers with good encryption.
- There are a zero log policy and fast connection with a kill switch, unlimited device connection.
Windcribe will be a great VPN that is perfectly suitable for torrenting if you are looking for a free VPN. This one offers the majority of the features that a paid one does. Windscribe can also unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime content and paired with 256-bit encryption.
Though this VPN is free till 10GB after that you need a subscription which costs very low than the majority of VPNs. They also offer 3 days money-back guarantee program.
- Tunnelbear is an Editor choice winner which is easy to handle web traffic with a simple interface.
- They ensure that no logs are captured. But you will get only 500MB per month.
- Military-grade encryption security along with great torrenting speed.
Tunnelbear might be familiar with the name and best for low volume users, but they will provide only a limited interpreter which can be used for photos or documents. If you want additional data then you have to mail it to the company otherwise you will end up with the limitation.
They also offer stand-alone ad blockers and friendly app design at an affordable price range if we want. But, again they have only a limited number of servers. Unline the other VPNs this one also provides military-grade security.
You can also try 30 days money-back guarantee program if you don’t find these VPN services are not useful.
Using a VPN is recommended as it will create a secure connection over the internet. Either to keep your private information secure and providing you the facility to access the regionally blocked content in streaming apps. VPN will eliminate the tracking of your data by ISP or by any other attackers. Keeps you secures against external attacks. You can also sign in to different devices and protect them at the same time.
Are VPNs Really Secure?
Yes, Using VPNs will keep you secure and your data safe unless you download a file. Since even VPNs cannot protect you from the virus if someone targets you specifically. Rest of the scenarios you can rest assure you are safe.
Can I Use VPNs for torrenting?
Yes, you can use VPN for torrenting. Not all of them will support P2P sharing so look carefully when you are installing a VPN on your devices.
Using VPN is Legal?
The answer to this question lies in the country where you reside. Because in some countries it is legal to use VPN. In some countries like Iran or Iraq, it is considered illegal. If you want to check is it legal in your country here is the list.
Which VPN to use (Free or Paid VPN)?
We will recommend using Paid VPN. Since most of the free VPNs will log your activities and sell the user data while some are not. So it is always better you go for paid VPN.