Want to use a double VPN but not sure whether you should use it or not? Here I will tell you what it is and what are its advantages and disadvantages and when you should use it.
If you are already using a Virtual Private Network or VPN then you surely know what a VPN is and how it works. But if you don’t, then a VPN is a service which works as a tunnel between your device and ISP and provides you with an encrypted connection to make your online activities secure.
But here the question is, what is a double VPN? In the next lines, I’ll try to clear your each and every doubt related to it. Let’s have a look:
What is a double VPN and how does it work?
Double VPN is almost the same as normal VPN but the difference is just that, it passes your data via two different servers located at different locations before reaching to the final destination.
In other words, you can say, Double VPN encrypts your data twice and thus secure your data even more than a normal VPN do.
Now you know what it is and how it works. Now, it’s time to know when you should use it and what are its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s see:
When should you use Double VPN?
Well you can use it if you are too concerned about your privacy and you doubt your internet data is under surveillance which happens mostly with journalists, politicians and highly sensitive jobs and you can’t take any risk of leaking it then it is highly advisable to use double VPN for your internet connection.
How to use Double VPN
There are two ways to use double VPN:
- Use two different VPNs to secure your network: This is a very simple method to use a double VPN. Here we use VPN services of two different providers for encrypting our data so none of VPN Provider can have complete information of whatever we are doing and it reaches to its destination without any worry. But using it comes with a few main disadvantages:
- Expensive: Obviously, if you want to use two VPNs for your internet connection then you’ll have to buy subscriptions of two different VPNs which will cost you double. But if your data is so important then it deserves a try.
- Slow Internet: When you are using two VPNs then it passes your data via two different servers which cause slow internet and it is not advisable if you are using an already slow internet connection.
- Makes the device slower: When you use two VPNs at the same time in the same devices then it consumes a lot of memory which makes your device slower. I’ll suggest you use it only when your device has good RAM.
- Compatibility issue: The main issue when I faced when I was using two VPNs at the same time was the compatibility issue. There are few VPNs which doesn’t work with another VPNs when we use both at the same time in a single device. But when I used the combination of NordVPN and IPVanish and enabled both one after another, they worked completely fine. Unfortunately, the combination of other VPNs didn’t work out well for me.
- Use a VPN with double VPN feature: There are so few VPNs available in the market which gives provides double VPN or Multi-hop features such as NordVPN and SurfShark. But I personally use NordVPN because of its speed, stability and security. But even if you want to use SurfShark, you won’t regret your decision. Surfshark also has 1700+ servers located in 63 countries and is comparatively affordable than other VPNs.
Disadvantages of using Double VPN:
- Makes connection slower.
- Makes Device slower.
Advantages of using Double VPN:
- Encrypts your data twice thus almost impossible to decipher by hackers and prying eyes.
- Your location and personal information are much safer than normal VPN.
How to setup Double VPN:
To use the Double VPN feature you will have to download and install NordVPN on your device. Here’s how:
How to download and install NordVPN
- Go to NordVPN’s official website.
- Signup for an account.
- Subscribe to one of its plans which best suits you (don’t worry even if you regret your decision you can ask for money-back within 30 Days)
- Once made the payment, you’ll be redirected to the Dashboard, Here go to Download Apps in the right sidebar.
- Now choose your platform and download will start automatically.
- From here you can install NordVPN App as you install other apps, depends on your platform.
How to connect to an NordVPN Double VPN server
- Run NordVPN and scroll down the list of servers to the bottom.
- Here you’ll see Double VPN in Speciality Servers.
- Just click on Double VPN to connect quickly or click on three dots to choose from the list of servers.
Now your internet data is protected by double encryption.
Didn’t get the steps? In this video, I’ve shown how you can setup Double VPN on NordVPN:
If you still have any doubts or suggestions related to “Double VPN” then feel free to contact us via our dedicated page. Our team will try to reach you as soon as possible.