Hey, have you been having trouble downloading torrents recently? You’re not alone. A lot of people have been reporting issues with various torrent clients. Don’t worry, we’re here to help.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the common problems people are experiencing and show you how to fix them. So, keep reading for some helpful tips and solutions.
1. Incorrect Proxy Settings
The most common reason for a torrent not downloading is that the proxy settings are incorrect.
What are proxy settings, you ask? They’re the settings that tell your computer how to connect to the torrent network. If they’re not set up correctly, it can cause problems with your connection and prevent the torrent from downloading.
So how do you go about fixing them? It’s actually pretty easy. Just follow these steps:
- Go to your browser’s settings
- Look for the “Proxy Settings” or “LAN Settings” tab
- Make sure that the “Use a proxy server” box is unchecked
- Click on “OK” and then close your browser
- Open your browser again and try to download the torrent
If that doesn’t work, you can try resetting your router. If you’re not sure how to do that, contact your internet service provider for help.
2. Throttling by your ISP
You’re probably familiar with the term throttling, but do you know what it means when it comes to torrenting? Throttling is when your ISP deliberately slows down your connection to certain websites or services.
ISPs use throttling as a way of controlling the amount of bandwidth that their customers use. They’ll throttle your connection if they think you’re abusing your bandwidth allowance, or if they think you’re downloading too many files at once.
There are a few ways to get around throttling, but the best way is to use a VPN. A VPN will encrypt all of your traffic and protect you from any tracking or monitoring by your ISP.
3. Firewall blocking Torrent connections
Your firewall might be blocking torrent connections. It’s not uncommon for firewalls to block torrents, as they can be seen as a security risk. But don’t worry, there are a few ways to get around this.
One way is to open up the port that your torrent client is using in your firewall. For uTorrent, this port is 6881. If you’re using a different torrent client, you can find the port number in the settings menu.
Another way is to add your torrent client to the exceptions list in your firewall. This will allow the torrent client to bypass the firewall and connect to peers.
If you’re still having trouble connecting to peers, you might want to try using a VPN service. A VPN will encrypt your traffic and allow you to connect to peers without restrictions.
4. Limited Availability / Dead Torrents
It’s frustrating when you’re trying to download a torrent and it just won’t start. You might be wondering, why isn’t my torrent downloading?
There are a few potential reasons why this might be the case. The most common reason is that the torrent is simply unavailable. Maybe the trackers are down, or the file has been taken offline.
Another possibility is that your torrent is dead. This happens when a file has been partially downloaded and then stopped, leaving behind a corrupted file. Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do in this case except find a new torrent to download.
5. Check your Antivirus
Your torrent isn’t downloading because your antivirus is blocking it.
It’s not uncommon for antiviruses to block torrents, because they can be used to spread malware. So, if you’re having trouble downloading a file through a torrent, the first thing you should do is check your antivirus settings and make sure that it’s not blocking torrents.
If it is, you’ll need to disable the antivirus for the time being and try again. And if you find that disabling the antivirus isn’t solving the problem, then you might need to get different antivirus software.
6. Outdated Tracker
Your torrent isn’t downloading because the tracker is outdated.
Torrent trackers are essentially servers that help manage the torrent swarm and keep track of who is uploading and downloading files. When a tracker goes offline, it can cause all sorts of problems for the torrent swarm.
Fortunately, there are a number of alternatives to the old, outdated trackers. You can find a list of these trackers on websites like The Pirate Bay and IsoHunt.
So if your torrent isn’t downloading, try using one of these alternative trackers to get things moving again.
7. In-client Encryption settings
It could be that your in-client encryption settings are blocking the torrent from downloading. To check, open your client and click on the Preferences or Options menu. Then go to the Connection tab and make sure that the encrypted connection box is checked.
If it is, try unchecking it and restarting your client. If that still doesn’t work, it might be that your ISP is blocking torrents altogether. In that case, you might have to use a VPN or proxy service to get around the blockade.
Top 5 Best VPNs for Torrenting
- 5407 servers in 60 Countries
- Unblocks International services Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO, iPlayer, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.
- Double VPN feature, Kill Switch, Split Tunneling, Tor, and additional features
- Unlimited Streaming in Ultra HD quality without data caps
- Unlimited P2P/Torrenting anonymously with dedicated P2P servers
- CyberSec to avoid malware and block ads
- Reliable kill switch with a strict No-logs policy
- 6 Simultaneous device connections
- 24/7 Live Chat customer support
- 30 Days full refund policy
If you’re looking for the best VPN for torrenting, we recommend NordVPN. They are well-optimized to deliver blazing speeds on the VPN’s custom-developed NordLynx protocol (faster than WireGuard) no matter where you are from.
While the VPN follows a No-log policy and runs every server on RAM (Volatile), they are frequently audited by third-party companies like PwC. NordVPN encrypts your traffic with military-grade AES-256-bit encryption with perfect forward secrecy promises that no one can know what you are doing online and is free from all kinds of IP/DNS leaks (Tested).
NordVPN SmartPlay unblocks almost any streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max. & website without comprising VPN Speeds. We never faced VPN blocks while accessing US content. Also, there are dedicated P2P Servers available for torrenting lovers and Onion Over VPN Servers along with double VPN Servers available.
NordVPN interface is very intuitive with similar features on every platform. Large the “Quick Connect” button to ease your quest for finding the ⚡fastest server. There is a built-in ads & malware blocker that protects you from unwanted viruses and inappropriate ads.
NordVPN is compatible with all platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS so you will get complete support. Also, there offer 30 days of the money-back guarantee program (worth trying the VPN without any risk) and if you don’t like the service you can claim your refund within 2-5 days.
- Best for privacy and security
- Dedicated Servers (P2P, Onion, Double VPN)
- Seamlessly unblocks streaming services
- 24/7 Live Chat
- Blazing Speeds with Unlimited Bandwidth
- Slow Speeds on Distant Servers
- 3200+ Servers in 65 Countries
- Unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer
- Standard AES 256-bit encryption with OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2 protocols
- Private DNS & Leak protection with camouflage mode
- P2P Torrenting support on every server (except a few) with unlimited bandwidth
- Multi-Hop. NoBorders mode, Whitelister, Cleanweb, Kill Switch, etc
- Supports Static IP Addresses & no Log Policy
- Unlimited device connections.
- 7 Days free trial & 30 days refund policy
Surfshark is our top pick for VPNs when it comes to torrenting in qBittorrent. It’s got a great set of features, it’s easy to use, and it’s affordable. Plus, it’s got a strong commitment to privacy and security, which is perfect for torrenting your favourite shows and movies.
With Surfshark, you can 🥳enjoy throttle-free internet speeds and its “Quick Connect” feature ensures that you always connect to the fastest server nearby. Besides, its speeds & bypassing will be secured with AES 256-bit encryption along with Multi-hop, and NoBorders Modes.
Surfshark keeps you safe from all sorts of leaks with its Kill Switch, SmartDNS, and CleanWeb features that block ads, malware, and phishing attacks. All these servers are 100% RAM Only (no data storing) and Surfshark promises that it doesn’t store any logs being from the Netherlands (privacy-friendly) and audited recently by Cure53.
Supporting WireGuard and all the standard VPN protocols. Surfshark supports P2P torrenting on almost every one of its servers with unlimited bandwidth. All this isn’t limited to a few devices, you can connect as 🤩many devices as you can. Its camouflage mode hides the fact that you are using VPN.
Also, they offer 30 days risk-free money-back guarantee program supported with 24/7 live chat support for a hassle-free experience. In fact, one of the best cheap VPNs available on the market.
- Unblock Streaming Services
- Unlimited Device Connections
- Additional Features (Camouflage Mode, No Border Mode, CleanWeb, and Whitelister)
- Distant servers take some time to connection
- Speeds vary widely
- 3000+ Servers in 160+ locations (94 countries)
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Unbeatable Security Encryption with OpenVPN (TCP/UDP), L2TP, IPSec, IKEv2
- Full Torrenting Support (Dedicated P2P Servers) with split tunnelling.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Consoles, routers, etc.
- 5 Simultaneous device connections
- Zero Log Policy with a robust automatic kill switch
- 24/7 Customer Support
- 30 Days full refund policy
If you’re looking for the best VPN for torrenting, you can’t go wrong with ExpressVPN. It’s one of the most popular VPNs out there, and it’s got a reputation for being lightning-fast and super reliable. ExpressVPN ships with top-notch AES-256 encryption coupled with perfect forward secrecy for complete anonymity.
Its Lightway protocol is well known for premium VPN speeds for hassle-free torrenting on qBittorrent or other torrent client. Almost every server works flawlessly in unblocking any torrenting services and ExpressVPN is free from all kinds of IP and WebRTC leaks, based on the British Virgin Islands (privacy-friendly), and has a no-log policy.
ExpressVPN covers 5 devices (Complete Family) with a single subscription. And is compatible with almost every device platform like Windows, Android, iOS, and macOS that you would like to unblock 123 Movies.
They manage to offer a 30-day risk-free money-back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low-price subscriptions.
- Best VPN for privacy
- 24/7 Live Chat Support
- Excellent torrenting performance
- Superior Security with AES 256 bit
- 5 Simultaneous devices
- 7914 Servers in over 91 countries.
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and many other streaming platforms in high quality.
- Military Grade encryption with AES-256 bit security coupled with a no-log policy
- Optimized torrenting servers for safety and built-in malware detector
- 7 Simultaneous device connections.
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Chrome, Linux, and other devices
- 45 days money-back guarantee.
- No Log Policy
- 24/7 Customer Support
If you’re looking for a great VPN for torrenting in qBittorrent or another platform, CyberGhost is a great option. It’s one of the most popular VPNs around, and it’s known for its high quality and fast speeds. CyberGhost has a huge server network, so you’ll be able to torrent in qBittorrent without any buffering or lag. And it’s also really easy to use, so you’ll be able to get set up in no time.
Besides AES 256-bit encryption and no-log policy, it has NoSpy Servers for complete anonymity. Also, you can take benefit from their dedicated IP Address. While the VPN supports the latest & standard protocols to deliver decent ⚡speeds for an uninterrupted experience.
CyberGhost is packed with all the security features like Kil Switch, Split Tunneling along with ad-blocker. Its specialized servers can unblock every streaming service effectively and its SmartRules settings are simply amazing. I never faced any issues accessing Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc.
While there are no bandwidths limitations i.e you can take advantage of your full internet speeds. Also, there are dedicated servers for torrenting. But not every server is psychically located.
While the VPN is user-friendly and compatible with most device platforms you use including Smart TVs. This VPN also supports Kodi and you can connect up to 7 devices simultaneously. With its huge server network, you can easily access restricted content.
It has 24/7 live customer support to assist you anytime and it also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee program which is risk-free to claim your full refund if you don’t like the service.
- Unblock Streaming Services
- Premium Security features
- Dedicated Servers for streaming, torrenting, gaming
- 24/7 live chat support
- Speeds aren’t consistent
5. Private Internet Access
- 35000+ Next-Gen Servers in 84 Countries
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime, Show Time, and other streaming services.
- Standard Encryptions AES-256 & 128 bit for enhanced privacy
- Dedicated IP Address, built-in Ad-blocker DNS level
- P2P Torrenting support (unlimited bandwidth)
- Bonus features for chrome with additional settings
- Compatible with all the device platforms
- 10 Simultaneous device connection
- 30 Days Full Refund Policy
If you’re looking for a great VPN for torrenting in qBittorrent, then Private Internet Access should be at the top of your list. Not only is it affordable, but it also offers a ton of features that will make your streaming experience much better. Plus, it has a huge network of servers, so you’ll always be able to find a connection that’s fast enough for streaming.
Though it has WireGuard protocol, the speeds are not as incredible as a premium VPN. I come across VPN blocks on accessing some content. PIA is an open-source VPN with a no-log policy, but the only downside is that the VPN is based in the US.
PIA offers unlimited bandwidth supporting torrenting on every server. You can create profiles on this VPN with different settings(customization), while the interface is intuitive and beginner-friendly.
This VPN has apps for all the device platforms like iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS. And you can enjoy the VPN connecting up to 10 devices simultaneously.
PIA has 24/7 live customer support if you run into any issues. Yet, they managed to provide a 30-day money-back guarantee program (so you can taste the service for free).
- Unbeatable Server Network
- Open Source + AES-256 bit encryption
- Unblock different streaming services
- 24/7 live chat support
- Lack of Split Tunneling
- Based in the US
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it legal to torrent for downloading files?
Torrenting is a sharing procedure that is completely legal in most countries. But using this for downloading files containing materials & software, will be considered illegal. There are risks at most by accidental clicking on the wrong link leads you to pay a fine, when you are marked by your ISP. So, we recommend always using a VPN.
How does your ISP track your Torrenting Activities?
They can identify the type of file that you are downloading and the port that you are connected to. They can monitor the bandwidth usage since torrents will use high bandwidth so that they will know that you are torrenting. But with VPNs, they can never know your online activities.
Will Torrenting get you arrested?
You will not go to court by downloading torrents often. But if you are caught torrenting illegally then your ISP can take action against you. But less severe measures like sending out warning letters or might slow down your internet connection usually. There might be chances where you will have to pay the ISP and the Owner of the copyrighted material.
So, those are the seven reasons why your torrent might not be downloading. If you’re still having trouble, it’s best to reach out to your torrent client’s support team. They should be able to help you out.
But hopefully, this article has given you a better understanding of what might be going wrong and how to fix it. Stay safe and happy torrenting!