YouTube TV is a great way to watch your favourite shows when you’re on the go. You can stream content on your phone, tablet, or laptop, and there are no commercials.
But what if you’re travelling and want to watch local channels? don’t worry; we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’ll show you how to watch YouTube TV local channels while travelling in 2023. It’s easier than you might think and will save you from having to miss out on your favourite programming.
⏳ Short On Time? Watch YouTube TV in Four Steps! ⏳
- Subscribe to NordVPN
- Download and Install your VPN
- Select a VPN server from your new US location
- Now you need to connect to that server and start watching YouTube TV local channels without any hassle
What Is YouTube TV?
YouTube TV is a streaming service specialising in local and popular cable channels. It’s perfect for the traveller who wants to watch the local news, sports, and current programming but doesn’t want to miss out on their programs while abroad. YouTube TV features popular channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and many more.
You’ll also have access to local sports channels and popular cable channels like CNN, ESPN, TBS, and many others. There are also a few popular international channels, like BT Sports and Sky Sports.
You can stream YouTube TV on mobile devices, computers, smart TVs, and other streaming devices like Roku and Apple TV. If you’re planning a trip soon, YouTube TV could be a great way to keep up with your favourite TV programming while travelling.
Can I change local channels on YouTube TV?
Yes, YouTube TV offers both local and national channel selections to suit your particular taste. The national selection airs popular programming from various networks but doesn’t include local channels.
The local channel selection includes channels that are only available in your area and are included in the price of your subscription. You can change your channel lineup anytime, but only while you are in your current location.
If you change your channel lineup while you’re traveling abroad, you’ll lose access to your local channels. The channels you select are tied to your account and device, not your location.
Does YouTube TV block VPNs?
While we can’t say for certain whether or not YouTube TV will block VPNs in the future, most VPNs do not currently work with the service. VPNs route all of your internet traffic through a remote server, which can make it appear as though you’re in a different location.
This can be helpful when you’re traveling abroad, or if you’re just trying to get around content blocks at work or school.
But while VPNs can be useful in many situations, they don’t work with every service. Currently, most VPNs do not work with YouTube TV. This is because many VPNs change your IP address, which is how YouTube TV determines your location.
When you use a VPN with YouTube TV, you get an IP address that’s associated with the location of the VPN server, not your actual location. This means that YouTube TV can’t verify your location and will assume that you’re in the country where the VPN server is located, preventing you from watching local programming.
How to Watch YouTube TV While Traveling
1. Set up the VPN on your device
The first step to watching YouTube TV while traveling abroad is to set up a VPN on your device. The VPN acts as a tunnel between your device and the internet by encrypting your data. The device then connects to a VPN server that is in the country of your choice.
With your connection now going through the VPN server, you can use the same login information that you would use if you were at home. We recommend using NordVPN because it is the best VPN for streaming and has servers in the countries where YouTube TV is available.
2. Subscribe to YouTube TV
Once you’ve set up the VPN on your device and connected to a server in the country where YouTube TV is available, you can sign up for the service. The subscription costs $40 per month and gives you unlimited access to live TV, cloud DVR, and a selection of on-demand content.
YouTube TV comes with access to 40+ channels including local news, sports, and channels like NBC, FOX, CBS, and ABC. You can use the search tool to see if the channels you want are available in your area. Some channels are only available on the select plan, which costs $50 per month. Your subscription gives you access to up to six accounts simultaneously.
3. Change your YouTube TV area
As we mentioned, you can watch local YouTube TV channels while travelling in 2023. And to do that, you’ll need to change your YouTube TV area.
- Login to your YouTube TV account. Click on the settings option at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Click on ‘Account’ from the drop-down menu. Under ‘Location’, click the ‘Change’ button.
- Select a city from the drop-down menu and click ‘Save’. That’s all there is to it.
- You’ve now officially changed your YouTube TV area to any one of the U.S. cities listed on the website.
Can I watch YouTube TV outside the USA?
Yes, the trick here is to sign up for a VPN service that allows you to spoof your IP address to be in the US. With a VPN service, you can access all of the same content that you would at home by logging in with your TV provider credentials.
Your IP address will be the same one you would see if you were located in the same geographic region as your VPN server, which means that you’ll be able to watch YouTube TV channels.
Keep in mind that while VPNs are useful, they aren’t a magic wand that will allow you to access any website or service you’d like. For example, some streaming services, like Amazon Video or Netflix, have implemented measures to block VPN users from accessing their content. You may have to try a few different VPN services before you find one that works with YouTube TV.
Top 5 Best VPNs for Streaming
- 5407 servers in 60 Countries
- Unblocks International services Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO, iPlayer, Disney+, and Amazon Prime.
- Double VPN feature, Kill Switch, Split Tunneling, Tor, and additional features
- Unlimited Streaming in Ultra HD quality without data caps
- Unlimited P2P/Torrenting anonymously with dedicated P2P servers
- CyberSec to avoid malware and block ads
- Reliable kill switch with a strict No-logs policy
- 6 Simultaneous device connections
- 24/7 Live Chat customer support
- 30 Days full refund policy
If you’re looking for the best VPN for streaming videos, we recommend NordVPN. They are well-optimized to deliver blazing speeds on the VPN’s custom-developed NordLynx protocol (faster than WireGuard) no matter where you are from.
While the VPN follows a No-log policy and runs every server on RAM (Volatile), they are frequently audited by third-party companies like PwC. NordVPN encrypts your traffic with military-grade AES-256-bit encryption with perfect forward secrecy promises that no one can know what you are doing online and is free from all kinds of IP/DNS leaks (Tested).
NordVPN SmartPlay unblocks almost any streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max. & website without comprising VPN Speeds. We never faced VPN blocks while accessing US content. Also, there are dedicated P2P Servers available for torrenting lovers and Onion Over VPN Servers along with double VPN Servers available.
NordVPN interface is very intuitive with similar features on every platform. Large the “Quick Connect” button to ease your quest for finding the ⚡fastest server. There is a built-in ads & malware blocker that protects you from unwanted viruses and inappropriate ads.
NordVPN is compatible with all platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS so you will get complete support. Also, there offer 30 days of the money-back guarantee program (worth trying the VPN without any risk) and if you don’t like the service you can claim your refund within 2-5 days.
- Best for privacy and security
- Dedicated Servers (P2P, Onion, Double VPN)
- Seamlessly unblocks streaming services
- 24/7 Live Chat
- Blazing Speeds with Unlimited Bandwidth
- Slow Speeds on Distant Servers
- 3200+ Servers in 65 Countries
- Unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer
- Standard AES 256-bit encryption with OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2 protocols
- Private DNS & Leak protection with camouflage mode
- P2P Torrenting support on every server (except a few) with unlimited bandwidth
- Multi-Hop. NoBorders mode, Whitelister, Cleanweb, Kill Switch, etc
- Supports Static IP Addresses & no Log Policy
- Unlimited device connections.
- 7 Days free trial & 30 days refund policy
Surfshark is our top pick for VPNs when it comes to streaming videos. It’s got a great set of features, it’s easy to use, and it’s affordable. Plus, it’s got a strong commitment to privacy and security, which is perfect for streaming your favourite shows and movies.
With Surfshark, you can 🥳enjoy throttle-free internet speeds and its “Quick Connect” feature ensures that you always connect to the fastest server nearby. Besides, its speeds & bypassing will be secured with AES 256-bit encryption along with Multi-hop, and NoBorders Modes.
Surfshark keeps you safe from all sorts of leaks with its Kill Switch, SmartDNS, and CleanWeb features that block ads, malware, and phishing attacks. All these servers are 100% RAM Only (no data storing) and Surfshark promises that it doesn’t store any logs being from the Netherlands (privacy-friendly) and audited recently by Cure53.
Supporting WireGuard and all the standard VPN protocols. Surfshark supports P2P torrenting on almost every one of its servers with unlimited bandwidth. All this isn’t limited to a few devices, you can connect as 🤩many devices as you can. Its camouflage mode hides the fact that you are using VPN.
Also, they offer 30 days risk-free money-back guarantee program supported with 24/7 live chat support for a hassle-free experience. In fact, one of the best cheap VPNs available on the market.
- Unblock Streaming Services
- Unlimited Device Connections
- Additional Features (Camouflage Mode, No Border Mode, CleanWeb, and Whitelister)
- Distant servers take some time to connection
- Speeds vary widely
- 3000+ Servers in 160+ locations (94 countries)
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Unbeatable Security Encryption with OpenVPN (TCP/UDP), L2TP, IPSec, IKEv2
- Full Torrenting Support (Dedicated P2P Servers) with split tunnelling.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Consoles, routers, etc.
- 5 Simultaneous device connections
- Zero Log Policy with a robust automatic kill switch
- 24/7 Customer Support
- 30 Days full refund policy
If you’re looking for the best VPN for streaming videos, you can’t go wrong with ExpressVPN. It’s one of the most popular VPNs out there, and it’s got a reputation for being lightning-fast and super reliable. ExpressVPN ships with top-notch AES-256 encryption coupled with perfect forward secrecy for complete anonymity.
Its Lightway protocol is well known for premium VPN speeds for hassle-free video streaming on YouTube or other platforms. Almost every server works flawlessly in unblocking any streaming services and ExpressVPN is free from all kinds of IP and WebRTC leaks, based on the British Virgin Islands (privacy-friendly), and has a no-log policy.
ExpressVPN covers 5 devices (Complete Family) with a single subscription. And is compatible with almost every device platform like Windows, Android, iOS, and macOS that you would like to unblock 123 Movies.
They manage to offer a 30-day risk-free money-back program and 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low-price subscriptions.
- Best VPN for privacy
- 24/7 Live Chat Support
- Excellent Streaming service unblocking
- Superior Security with AES 256 bit
- 5 Simultaneous devices
- 7914 Servers in over 91 countries.
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and many other streaming platforms in high quality.
- Military Grade encryption with AES-256 bit security coupled with a no-log policy
- Optimized torrenting servers for safety and built-in malware detector
- 7 Simultaneous device connections.
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Chrome, Linux, and other devices
- 45 days money-back guarantee.
- No Log Policy
- 24/7 Customer Support
If you’re looking for a great VPN for streaming 123 Movies or another platform, CyberGhost is a great option. It’s one of the most popular VPNs around, and it’s known for its high quality and fast speeds. CyberGhost has a huge server network, so you’ll be able to stream 123 Movies without any buffering or lag. And it’s also really easy to use, so you’ll be able to get set up in no time.
Besides AES 256-bit encryption and no-log policy, it has NoSpy Servers for complete anonymity. Also, you can take benefit from their dedicated IP Address. While the VPN supports the latest & standard protocols to deliver decent ⚡speeds for an uninterrupted experience.
CyberGhost is packed with all the security features like Kil Switch, Split Tunneling along with ad-blocker. Its specialized servers can unblock every streaming service effectively and its SmartRules settings are simply amazing. I never faced any issues accessing Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc.
While there are no bandwidths limitations i.e you can take advantage of your full internet speeds. Also, there are dedicated servers for torrenting. But not every server is psychically located.
While the VPN is user-friendly and compatible with most device platforms you use including Smart TVs. This VPN also supports Kodi and you can connect up to 7 devices simultaneously. With its huge server network, you can easily access restricted content.
It has 24/7 live customer support to assist you anytime and it also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee program which is risk-free to claim your full refund if you don’t like the service.
- Unblock Streaming Services
- Premium Security features
- Dedicated Servers for streaming, torrenting, gaming
- 24/7 live chat support
- Speeds aren’t consistent
5. Private Internet Access
- 35000+ Next-Gen Servers in 84 Countries
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime, Show Time, and other streaming services.
- Standard Encryptions AES-256 & 128 bit for enhanced privacy
- Dedicated IP Address, built-in Ad-blocker DNS level
- P2P Torrenting support (unlimited bandwidth)
- Bonus features for chrome with additional settings
- Compatible with all the device platforms
- 10 Simultaneous device connection
- 30 Days Full Refund Policy
If you’re looking for a great VPN for video streaming, then Private Internet Access should be at the top of your list. Not only is it affordable, but it also offers a ton of features that will make your streaming experience much better. Plus, it has a huge network of servers, so you’ll always be able to find a connection that’s fast enough for streaming.
Though it has WireGuard protocol, the speeds are not as incredible as a premium VPN. I come across VPN blocks on accessing some content. PIA is an open-source VPN with a no-log policy, but the only downside is that the VPN is based in the US.
PIA offers unlimited bandwidth supporting torrenting on every server. You can create profiles on this VPN with different settings(customization), while the interface is intuitive and beginner-friendly.
This VPN has apps for all the device platforms like iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS. And you can enjoy the VPN connecting up to 10 devices simultaneously.
PIA has 24/7 live customer support if you run into any issues. Yet, they managed to provide a 30-day money-back guarantee program (so you can taste the service for free).
- Unbeatable Server Network
- Open Source + AES-256 bit encryption
- Unblock different streaming services
- 24/7 live chat support
- Lack of Split Tunneling
- Based in the US
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I watch my local channels on YouTube TV when I travel?
As long as you’re connected to the VPN, you can watch your local channels on YouTube TV while you’re travelling. All you need is the YouTube TV app and a valid login. So whether you’re on a business trip or vacation, you can keep up with your favourite shows and stay connected to your local community.
Using VPN is Legal?
Yes, it’s completely legal to use VPN in your country. But sticking to your country’s regulations In some countries like Iran or Iraq, it is considered illegal. If you want to check if is it legal in your country here is the list.
Which VPN to use (Free or Paid VPN)?
It’s not about the paid or free. It’s about your privacy & online freedom (do whatever you want). So, take a wise decision. Don’t forget that premium VPNs are also free through their trial program.
So there you have it! in 2023, you’ll be able to watch your local channels on YouTube TV while travelling. All you need is a good-quality VPN and a device that’s compatible with the YouTube TV app.
So don’t forget to pack your laptop or tablet when you head out on your next vacation. With YouTube TV, you’ll be able to keep up with your favourite shows, even when you’re far away from home.