In this quick guide, we will see a step-by-step procedure to download and Install ExpressVPN on Oculus Quest. And the best VPNs for Quest 2.
Oculus Quest is the 🔮future of VR gaming delivering an immersive experience. While you can enjoy a virtual world without any computer or messy wired setup. If you are worried about the online privacy & security of your device?
⏳ Short in time? Here is a quick guide for installing a VPN on Oculus Quest
- Sideload your Quest first
- Then install a VPN on it.
- Though there are other methods available to use VPN service on your Oculus, Sideloading has more benefits compared to others.
Top 3 VPNs For Oculus Quest
- ExpressVPN:Best All-rounder VPN for Oculus
- NordVPN: Best For Unblocking Websites
- SurfsharkVPN: Best for Streaming and Downloading
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) provides better privacy & security while you are enjoying the VR experience. Also, it makes sure that your identity is hidden 😍 with military-grade encryption that can prevent you from praying eyes & tracking. Also, you can avail of high discounts on digital games or any subscription with a VPN.
VPNs offer ⚡better speeds if your internet connection is being throttled. This ensures minimal PING and provides a seamless experience during gaming sessions. With VPN servers you can unblock any streaming services or websites.
VPNs running on Diskless RAM Servers ensure that won’t be any logs stored on the server (Security measure at the VPN end). So, you can rest assured that your internet activities are completely private.
[Method-1] Sideload Oculus Quest & Install VPN
Sideload Oculus Quest
- First of All, you need to create an Oculus organization. Click on this link and log in.
- Click on create new organization option shown on the right top.
- Now enter the organization name “****” then click on I understand and finally click on submit.
- Now you need to enable developer mode and open your Oculus Quest installed the app on your mobile device.
- Connect to your Quest and click on more settings find “Developer Mode” and enable developer mode.
- Now download ADB drivers for your Oculus Quest device.
- Once it is downloaded extract the Zip and open the file. Then right-click on “android_winusd.inf”.
- Now connect the quest to your PC and mount your quest to click on Allow USB debugging.
- Now download and install SideQuest for your device (Windows or macOS).
- Open SideQuest and choose anything e.g choose Games & Apps and click on any game, then hit install latest.
- After installation, unplug from your PC and mount your Oculus Quest and click on unknown sources.
You can see all the applications installed on your quest through sideloading. You can enjoy all the applications (not available) in your Quest store with this.
📝Note:- Make sure your Oculus Quest is connected to the same Wi-Fi network during the process.
Steps to Install VPN on Oculus Quest
Installing a VPN on your Oculus Quest requires sideloading (mentioned above). If you are new to VPN (Virtual Private Network) will make sure that all your internet activities are completely hidden from your ISP. Not even the surveillance groups can pray about what you are actually doing online.
- Head to the ExpressVPN home page and take any subscription of your choice.
- Now head to the setup page and download ExpressVPN for the Android Platform.
- After sideloading your Quest, open SIdeQuest and click on install apk from a file on your computer (top right corner), and choose the ExpressVPN apk you have downloaded earlier.
- After the installation is done and jumps into your Quest to open unknown sources to find “ExpressVPN”.
- Now you will see the setup now page, if not (hit ExpressVPN again from unknown sources).
- Click ok, you will see a pop up with “Connection request” click ok to approve it.
- Now you will land on the home page ExpressVPN with a big connect button in the center.
Now you can enjoy all the ExpressVPN services in your Oculus Quest.
[Method-2]-Share VPN Connection to Oculus Quest
This method is well known to all of you, it’s simple like sharing your device hotspot to your Oculus Quest.
- Download and install the VPN of your choice, we prefer using ExpressVPN.
- Here are the installation guides for Windows, Android, iOS, and macOS.
- Open ExpressVPN installed on your device and sign to your account.
- Choose a server from the list, here I’m connecting to the US.
- Now open the Wi-Fi setting on your Oculus Quest and connect to the hotspot of VPN connected device.
[Method-3]-Install VPN on your Router
Installing a VPN on your Router is another simpler way to enjoy VPN Services on your Oculus Quest. Here are the steps to connect VPN to your Quest,
- Take a VPN Subscription of your choice, we prefer using ExpressVPN.
- Make sure that your router supports VPN installation and complete VPN setup on your router.
- Now, head to the ExpressVPN home page and click on “More Option” under the Setup Your Device Panel.
- Now choose Manual Configuration and click on OpenVPN (Note down username & password).
- Choose any server location of your choice, it will download the OpenVPN configuration.
- Open your router admin panel and then sign in, navigate to the VPN option–>VPN Client.
- Click on Add profile and select OpenVPN. Enter the username & password you noted here.
- Upload the configuration file you downloaded thereon clicking the upload option
Features of ExpressVPN
Split tunneling is more useful to reach services that accept normal internet traffic. You can enable these features for your dedicated apps with three simple options.
- Allow all apps to use this
- Do not allow selected apps
- Allow only selected apps
ExpressVPN is also compatible with 🧅Tor (The Onion Router). A special browser to encrypt all the traffic within its network (anonymize data). Since it’s the only hub for the dark web, but also allows activist to share their personal information.
This VPN has its own .onion website very useful to access blocked websites (even if you forget to download VPN) you can access the app using Tor. As it is highly encrypted you will get a slower speed.
📝Note:- Make sure that you are disconnected from the VPN while adding split-tunneling to apps.
Optimized Servers for speed
Internet speed really matters a lot for a smooth & immersive experience in Oculus Quest. ExpressVPN prevents ISP throttling and helps you to obtain your maximum bandwidth. Also, their VPN servers are well optimized to deliver the best in 💪class VPN speeds.
🎯Tip:- Tweak these settings to get the best VPN Speeds.
A kill switch will stop the internet when your VPN server connection is down.
A kill switch is an essential VPN feature to ensure that your identity & browsing data are hidden from ISP and surveillance groups. While some VPNs remove this feature on their windows platforms, ExpressVPN is one of these that still cares about its users.
Why use a VPN for Oculus Quest
VPNs help to bypass geoblocks and allow you to watch international content anywhere in the world on your Oculus Quest. Additionally, it hides your identity and keeps you safe from unsecured networks. So, you can enjoy watching the streaming services in VR without any worries in your 🧠mind.
This will also benefit gamers by defending against any DDoS attack, you can enjoy downloading regional-specific games on your Quest. Furthermore, it will lower your PING to enjoy seamless gaming on connecting to the fastest servers.
Some VPNs have ad-blocker and anti-malware as built-in features to block all the irritating ads displayed on your screen.
Best VPNs for Oculus Quest
1. ExpressVPN– Best All rounder
- ExpressVPN offers full torrenting support along with full security
- Unblock Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Contains tons of server locations with class-leading connection speeds.
- Allow Torrenting on all servers but no special servers for P2P
- WebRTC leak protection with private DNS for the best privacy.
- 5 simultaneous device connections with a reliable kill switch
- No Log Policy.
- 30 Days full refund policy
ExpressVPN encryption is very tough (at its core) along with speed, although there isn’t any special protocol like in NordVPN. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands, which has no data retention laws to keep you completely safe all the time.
ExpressVPN uses OpenVPN, Ikev2, and L2Tp-IPSec protocols, which are known as the most reliable security protocols. This VPN has 3000+ servers across 94 countries all over the world, you can choose the best server that firs your choice for torrenting to unblock websites.
ExpressVPN has 30 days money-back program, whenever you don’t like the service “Claim for Instant refund“. Don’t worry you will have 24/7 live chat support for all of your problems. If you want then there is a hidden page for low price subscriptions.
2. NordVPN– Decent All Rounder
- 5500+ servers in 62+ Countries
- Double VPN feature for extra privacy
- Unlimited Streaming in HD quality without data caps
- Unlimited P2P/Torrenting anonymously with dedicated P2P servers
- CyberSec to avoid malware and block ads
- Stream International Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO, iPlayer, and other streaming sites
- Reliable kill switch
- Strict No-logs policy
- 30 Days full refund policy
NordVPN is one of the best torrenting VPNs as it offers high-grade security without any DNS/IPv6 leaks (proven in tests). With its 5400+ servers in 62+ countries all over the world to quickly connect to a server, also offers Onion over VPN for complete anonymity. Downloads speeds sky-rocket with the latest WireGuard protocol (Special protocol).
NordVPN has a very simple UI and is beginner-friendly and compatible with all the device platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. You can enjoy the service in six simultaneous connections per subscription NordVPN is a top VPN recommended by Reddit users. NordVPN is also a great choice for unblocking geo-blocked content on different platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and other streaming Apps.
NordVPN is very affordable compared to other VPNs, check out the full review. It also offers 30 days of the money-back guarantee program. So you can try this without any risk. So, if you don’t like the app then you will get your full refund within 5 days. And if you need a VPN for 1-2 weeks only then can try NordVPN for free using its money-back program.
3. Surfshark:- Best Streaming unblocker
- 3200+ Servers in Major Countries
- Easy to Use VPN App
- Standard 256-bit encryption
- Well Suits for a local audience in the US, UK, Italy, France. etc.
- Multihop mode to stream the content in high quality without buffering.
- No Log Policy
- Unlimited device connections.
Surfshark is a very easy-to-use No Log VPN with a comprehensive interface for general users. This VPN has a great rating without any issues while connecting. You can get this VPN without much strain from your pockets at very cheap prices.
Camouflage mode in surf shark will hide the notification of using a VPN on your devices. Surfshark VPN is compatible with iPhone, Mac, Windows, Linux, Chromebook, Android TV, Amazon FireStick, and Fire TV. In fact, this is the first VPN that works with FireTV Stick & Xbox.
While other VPNs will limit your device connection but this will beat them all with “Unlimited device connections“. Of Course!, you can observe the internet speed drop. But, users love having this option. Surfshark can unblock Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and many other websites along with torrenting.
Also, they offer 45 days risk-free money-back guarantee program. If you don’t want to empty your pockets for a VPN consider this one as an option.
Above all the three different working methods for Oculus Quest, VR is our future & brings 🤩pleasurable experience. Completely take you into an altered reality world, metaverse is just the beginning. There is a lot more to explore, revealing your identity & connecting to the insecure network might harm you. So, it’s highly recommended to use a VPN to protect your Oculus & you in the online world.
FAQs Related to Oculus Quest VPN
Are there any free VPNs available for Oculus Quest?
Free VPNs are not saviors, don’t properly encrypt your data and hide your identity. They have limited bandwidth and sell your data to third-party vendors. Instead, you can try ExpressVPN 30 days money-back guarantee program to get it for free.
What is sideloading in Oculus Quest?
Sideloading refers to the processing of installing unknown sources that are approved by the Oculus & not available in the Oculus store. It’s more like installing third-party apps on your mobile device.
How fast is Oculus Quest VPN (ExpressVPN)?
You might notice a slight drop in your internet speed or a massive boost (if your ISP throttling you). Though there will be several factors affecting your internet speed, make sure that you are on WireGuard protocol (if available).
Is a VPN safe for Oculus Quest?
Is it legal to unblock Oculus Quest with a VPN?
It’s completely legal to unblock your Oculus with a VPN. So, do not bother about the legal issues of installing a VPN on your Quest. The question is quite common but unless you use it for illegal activities.